Offices in Knoxville and Jacksboro, TN
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Call for a Free Consultation | We are Available 24/7

Call Us423-449-7980

We are Available 24/7

Criminal Defense FAQs

Scott County Criminal Defense FAQs

Knox County Criminal Lawyer Answers Legal Questions

Answering Your Criminal Defense Questions

The following are some of the criminal law questions and answers we frequently encounter. Everyone's situation is different, and this content is not meant to be taken as legal advice. To discuss your particular case, call the Jacksboro law firm of The Law Office of William F. Evans at 423-449-7980.

How Do I Make Bond?

After an arrest, the judge will set a bail amount, but in some cases, a defendant may be released on their own recognizance. Bonds are often required by the court to ensure a defendant will appear when scheduled. You can make bond by paying the entire

Bonding companies usually require a 10 percent payment of the total bond upfront. At times, the court may agree to a signature bond. In these cases, only a signature is required. However, if the accused fails to appear in court, the person who signed the bond is liable for the full amount.

Another option is a property bond, which should only be considered as a last resort. In these cases, a person will deed over the equity in their property to the clerk's office. If the defendant fails to appear, the person who posted the bond may lose their property.

What Happens in the General Sessions Court or "Misdemeanor Court"?

In the general sessions court, you can either agree to a plea, waive your case to the criminal courts, or have a preliminary hearing. Unfortunately, many people opt to plead guilty simply to get out of jail when other options are available. This results in a criminal record for the world to see, which can have a far-reaching impact on a person's life.

Waiving a case to the criminal court bypasses the need for a preliminary hearing. People can waive their case if they are charged with a felony, as a strategic move in an effort to reduce their bond amount, or to try and get a better offer from the state.

A preliminary hearing requires the state to show probable cause for the criminal charges. If the judge finds probable cause, the grand jury will review the evidence and decide whether an indictment should be issued. If you are indicted, your case will transfer to criminal court. If you are not indicted, the state may still present your case to the next grand jury. These hearings are a great opportunity to determine if the state has any evidence to support their case.

What Happens in Criminal Court or "Felony Court"?

Criminal court is more formal than the general sessions court. Our attorney can file motions for your defense to decide important issues before trial. We will review the evidence with you in detail. The stakes are high in criminal court, as you are now on the path to a jury trial. That is why it is important to have our team by your side.

How Much Time Am I Facing?

The amount of time you face depends on the severity of the charge. There are three classes of misdemeanors: A, B, and C. Class A is punishable by a maximum incarceration period of 11 months and 29 days and a fine of up to $2,500. Class B is punishable by a maximum incarceration of six months and a fine of up to $500. Class C is punishable by a maximum incarceration of 30 days and a fine of up to $50. Some offenses carry minimum jail sentences, and others carry a fine only. We work hard in an effort to help our clients avoid jail altogether.

The amount of time one faces for a felony also depends on the severity of the offense. There are five classes of felonies that must be taken into account with the range of the offender, which is determined by the number and class of prior felonies. At this point, a minimum and maximum sentence may be calculated. We will fight to get you the least amount of incarceration time possible.

Can I Get My Record Expunged?

Yes, if you qualify. An expungement means the offense with which you were charged or convicted is no longer part of the public record. An expungement is usually possible if you have completed a diversion program or if the alleged offense was dismissed. Some offenses can only be expunged after a certain amount of time has passed, while other offenses may never be expunged. If your case qualifies, we will complete the necessary work to have your case expunged at no extra cost.

Contact Us With Your Criminal Defense Questions

We provide free initial consultations to individuals who are facing criminal charges. Call our Tennessee law office at 423-449-7980 or contact us online.

Lead Councel TACDL Elite Lawyer Top 40 Under 40 Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association National College of DUI Defense Member DWI Detection Certificate
Back to Top