Offices in Knoxville and Jacksboro, TN
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Call for a Free Consultation | We are Available 24/7

Call Us423-449-7980

We are Available 24/7

Who Is Liable for Injuries Sustained in a Drunk Driving Accident in Tennessee?

Posted on in Motor Vehicle Accidents

Jacksboro, TN DUI liability attorney

In Tennessee, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal. It is presumed a drunk driver is liable to pay compensation for any injury or death caused by driving while intoxicated since it is an act of reckless driving. However, there are some cases in which determining liability for causing a DUI-related car accident may not be so easy. Tennessee is one of 30 states that observe a Dram Shop Liability statute, which can place responsibility for DUI accidents on restaurants and/or bars depending on the circumstances.

What Is the Dram Shop Liability Statute?

Under Tennessee law, a licensed establishment that sells alcohol to a person who is may be held liable for damages in an alcohol-related car accident. They may be required to pay compensation for any personal injury or wrongful death caused in the accident as a result of the consumption of alcohol sold. Tennessee limits this “Dram Shop Liability” statute to cases in which restaurants or bars sell alcohol to a clearly intoxicated person or a minor under the legal drinking age.

Types of Compensation a Victim Can Receive

Drunk driving can lead to many serious results, including damage to other vehicles and injuries to other drivers. Tennessee law requires at-fault drivers to pay a certain amount for medical bills and non-economic damages such as physical pain, emotional damage, or worsening of prior injuries. Monetary compensation limits are:

  • $750,000 for most injuries

  • $1,000,000 for catastrophic loss or injuries

Tennessee law also states that the at-fault driver in a drunk driving collision will pay for all damages to another person’s vehicle. In order to make sure a victim receives the compensation he or she deserves after a collision, the injured party should talk to a police officer as soon as possible to make sure the accident is reported. Then, he or she should see a doctor to have any injuries documented and treated. Finally, the victim should take his or her car to a mechanic to get an estimate of how much any repairs will cost.

Contact a Jacksboro, TN Car Accident Attorney

When you are the victim of a car accident involving a drunk driver, getting compensation can be just as hard as healing from the injuries sustained in the accident. The first step to making sure you receive the compensation you deserve is to hire a lawyer from the Law Offices of William F. Evans. Our experienced attorneys will carefully review the details of your case to determine liability. To schedule a free consultation with a diligent Campbell County drunk driving liability lawyer, call 423-449-7980 today.


Lead Councel TACDL Elite Lawyer Top 40 Under 40 Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association National College of DUI Defense Member DWI Detection Certificate
Back to Top